NOTICE: Select safety courses are currently being offered in-person as part of GPRC’s Relaunch Strategy. Online and videoconference courses will be available for registration and will run as scheduled.
You can start self-paced Online courses at any time. To start sooner than a listed course date, contact us here
OFFER: Get up to 2/3 of your employee training costs covered through the Canada Job Grant.
Training can be done online, on-site, and in the classroom. Classes can be part-time or full-time.
Apply now >>
Basic Computer Skills Certificate
Technology has become a part of our everyday lives, and understanding how to function in environments that require the use of computers and the Internet is more critical now than ever before. So, whether you plan to pursue a career in IT, or simply become more effective with technology, the Basic Computer Skills certificate is the place to start!
This program is mapped to the IC3 Digital Literacy credential that is designed to remain relevant in an ever-evolving world of technology. With a focus on the most critical elements that drive technology today, IC3 Global Standard 5 (GS5) delivers a comprehensive solution for learning how to succeed in any environment that requires the use of computers, devices, or the Internet. IC3 GS5 includes concepts and skills that apply to almost any school or career pathway, and it’s the ideal solution for any student or jobseeker looking to enhance or validate their digital skills. Click here for more information on the IC3 Digital Literacy certification.
Certification is the difference between saying you have the skills and proving you have the skills!
*We strongly encourage you to obtain your IC3 Digital Literacy Certification by completing the certification exams; however, you are not required to do so. Alternatively, you can obtain individual GPRC Certificates of Course Completion by taking a final quiz in each course and scoring 70% or above. Successfully complete all three courses to receive a GPRC Basic Computer Skills program certificate.
Learning and Career Growth
This program will help you gain a foundational understanding of:
- Common operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, etc.
- General computer knowledge, including basic hardware, software, networking and troubleshooting
- Types of computers, how they process information, and the purpose and function of different hardware components
- Computer equipment and common problems relating to computer hardware
- Common functions of application software - starting and exiting the program, creating, saving and managing files, common editing, formatting and printing functions
- Functions needed to operate a word processor at a basic level
- Functions needed to operate a spreadsheet program at a basic level
- Functions needed to communicate effectively with presentation software
- How computers connect to communication networks and the Internet
- How electronic communication works and how to communicate using electronic mail, social networks and other communication methods Basic skills required to evaluate information
- The World Wide Web, how to use a Web browsing program and how to create, locate and evaluate online content
Duration and Delivery
This certificate consists of 3 courses, each approximately 20 hours each in length, for a total of 60 instructional hours. All courses are offered in a self-paced online format.
Course fees are $249 per course and the total cost to complete the full certificate is $747 based on the current course fees. The courses do not require any additional purchase of supplementary materials. Fees are subject to change.
There are no admission requirements for this program.
Courses may be taken individually, or complete all three courses and take the Certiport IC3 Digital Literacy certification exams. Successful certification exam completion earns you a digital badge - a web-enabled credential that gives you the ability to share recognition of your skills online. Alternatively, you can obtain individual GPRC Certificates of Course Completion by taking a final quiz in each course and scoring 70% or above. Successfully complete all three courses to receive a GPRC Basic Computer Skills program certificate.
Registration in the following courses provides you with course training, practice exams, and one (1) certification exam attempt.
Courses in the 'Basic Computer Skills Certificate'