||The Department of Agriculture was looking to build a college in the Peace Region. Fairview was the ideal
candidate, but the lack of a water supply was hindering the process. To overcome this obstacle, the
current Mayor formed a committee to raise money to upgrade the water supply. They raised $50,000 in a
short period of time.
||Burns and Dutton of Calgary was hired to construct the college.
||Opened as the Fairview School of Agriculture and Home Economics.
||51 students registered in the inaugural year; 36 in agriculture and 15 in home economics.
||Mr. J.E. Hawker was appointed as the first principal, serving until 1956.
||First graduating class.
||Mr. Peter Jamieson was appointed as principal, serving until 1958.
||Fire broke out in the mechanics building and gymnasium; no one was injured, but both buildings were
destroyed. The future of the college was uncertain, with proposals coming for other uses of the college
||College was reopened following a huge public outcry.
||V.W. Osbaldeston was the principal following the fire.
||The new mechanics building was constructed.
||The new gymnasium was completed.
||Western Canada's first Animal Health Technologist program began here.
||Renamed Fairview College.
||Dr. Fred Speckeen was named the first president of the Fairview College, serving until 1984.
||Obtained full status as a Board- governed institution.
||Mr. Ian Macdonald was appointed as Chair of the College's first Board of Governors, serving for 6
||The Tatawasin and Mootchigan dormitories were constructed.
||Mr. Ian Macdonald returned for a second term as Chair of the Board of Governors at the request of the
Minister of Advanced Education, becoming the longest serving board Chair in the history of Alberta's
||Mr. Fred Trotter was named President, serving until 1997.
||Site dedicated for the new Fairview College & Community Cultural & Recreational Centre.
||The Dr. Fred Speckeen Theatre opened its doors.
||Mr. Daniel Dunwoody is named President, serving until 2004.
||Fairview College and NAIT announce a partnership to enhance post-secondary education in Northwestern
||Fairview College joins up with international ed2go to expand their online presence.
||The Tatawasin and Mootchigan dormitories were torn down as the new fourplex residences were constructed.
||The Fitness Centre was upgraded with a new cardio room and new weight equipment.
||In partnership with the Alberta Online Consortium Career Technology Studies- Joint Learning Initiative,
the College was one of 20 finalists (out of 900 global applicants), for the "Stockholm Awards"
in Sweden. The award is for advancing electronic education, as developed under the Warehousing program.
||Fairview College Legacy House Museum was announced, as a means to preserve the history of the college
for the future.
||The Lasting Legacy Project was announced as a way to recognize those who've made exceptional
contributions to the college, by naming rooms and buildings in their honour, with walnut & zinc
||June 21, 2004
||The Alberta Lieutenant Governor "disestablishes" Fairview College and "dissolves"
the Board of Governors, in anticipation of the merger with NAIT.
||June 30, 2004
||Fairview College and NAIT officially become one organization, with NAIT assuming administrative
responsibility for the Fairview Campuses in High Level, La Crete, Peace River, Fairview, Grande Prairie,
and St. Albert.
||Mr. John Campbell is appointed the new Dean for Northwest NAIT.
||GPRC takes over the administration of Fairview College from NAIT, and the College is renamed GPRC
Fairview College Campus.
||The main road through Grande Prairie Campus named in honour of Dr Henry Anderson.
||Grande Prairie campus' Anderson Hall Residence is demolished.
||The 60th anniversary of Fairview College was celebrated with a pleasing attendance, and especially large
numbers of alumni from the first graduating classes.
||Shell Canada donates equipment and buildings to GPRC's Fairview Campus for the Shell Canada Learning
Lab, providing an authentic training experience for students pursuing oil & gas careers.
||Master of Social Work program offered at Grande Prairie Campus in collaboration with the University of
||Ribbon cutting ceremony for GPRC's National Bee Diagnostic Centre in Beaverlodge.
||President and CEO Don Gnatiuk honoured with a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
||GPRC achieves eligibility to apply for research funds from the SSHRC, opening the door for a broad range
of applied academic research at the College.
||March 4, 2013
||Classes for the Welder-Wire Process Operator apprenticeship program begin for the first time in Alberta
at GPRC Fairview Campus.
||GPRC's National Bee Diagnostic Centre begins accepting
samples for diagnosis.
||GPRC is awarded the Royal Architectural Institute of
Canada's 2013 Prix du XXe Siècle for the Cardinal architecture of the Grande Prairie
||June 26, 2013
||Reunion of the Fairview School of Agriculture and Home Economics, classes of 1951 through 1954 held at
GPRC Fairview Campus.
||Dr. Robert W. Murray is appointed President and CEO.
||Dr. Glenn Feltham is appointed Acting President and CEO.